Tuesday, April 18, 2006

More ramblings..

I woke up late this morning. I don't work on Tuesdays and Thursdays, for now, so I've decided to take advantage of it. After getting up, I made a quick breakfast for my daughter and myself. She sat down and watched some cartoons while she ate. I watched Cold Pizza and had my coffee and toast. I think I've only watched this show once or twice, but today, I was just in the mood.

Lucky me, they brought in Carlton Fisk for an interview. They started the interview discussing his home run in Game 6 of the 1975 World Series. Every baseball fan is familiar with Fisk's coaxing of the ball as it flew into the foul pole, now known as the Fisk pole. They asked him about his emotions that day, before and right after the game-winning home run. It was great to hear him talk about it. Being a huge baseball fan myself, I remember old footage of that game and many others.

Continuing with the interview, Fisk was asked about the current steroid controversy. He mentioned that many ballplayers would have taken steroids had they been available in the 50s, 60s, and 70s . He thought about it once, but it was only a fleeting thought.

Asked about Barry Bonds, in particular, he quickly referred back to the great home run hitters of the past, Ruth, Maris and Mantle. When they were 39 years old, they averaged only 18 long balls each season. At age 39, Bonds hit 73. "You don't have to think hard about it," he said. He also talked about how many older ballplayers knew something was up back in the 90s and now with all the numbers these big guys are putting up. I find it sad.

What a great interview and great guy. Did I mention he was a great ballplayer too? I wish I could see more guys like him today. The Brock's, Bench's, Clemente's, and on and on...

I miss the days when guys would get hit by a pitch and simply take their base. I miss the days when guys cared about baseball more than their paychecks. I miss the days when guys simply played baseball.



Blue vs. Black, White vs. Black, Rich vs. Poor
Well, they indicted 2 lacrosse players from Duke today. I hope the trial comes quick and is resolved quickly too. I don't know if the guys actually raped the alleged victim, so we'll just have to see what the evidence says.

I think it's sad though something like this has divided Durham. And, of course, like everything else in America, it's come down to a black vs. white issue, rich vs. poor. Only in America.

They cry justice when the black person is a victim AND cry mercy when the black person is the criminal. It think Americans, white, black, hispanic, asian, or whatever, should see the facts of the case as fact and not as fact from a tainted point of view. Too many times we claim to observe injustices because we view the world from the lens of color. Can't we try for once to view the world from the the lens of reality?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home