Sunday, March 12, 2006

Priorities and family

So, my husband and I have been zeroing in our debt and are on track to eliminate all debt, except the house, in 2 years. We are pretty excited about our progress and are fortunate to have surrounded ourselves with friends and family that fully support our financial endeavors.

Pretty soon, I'm going to start working fulltime which will enable us to attack our remaining debt. God has just been pouring his blessings on us, which is consistent with scripture. In Malachi 3:10, "Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do," says the LORD Almighty, "I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it in! Try it! Let me prove it to you!"

I've been talking with my family, who lives 2,000 miles away, about trips we're planning on taking out there. My little sister is graduatting from high school in June and my best friend is getting married in October. After looking at our budget and debt snowball, all three of us, me, my husband and daughter, can go to one event. Our thoughts are that we will go to the graduation and only I will go the wedding in October. It's what will be best for us financially.

So, I relayed this to my dad over the phone and he gave me some advice. "You know, you have to just think positively and the money will be there." Although I love him, I respectfully disagree. I just don't think he understands our concerns. See, we have the money to take these trips. The only thing is that, for every trip we take, our debt repayment gets pushed back. We've focused so much on getting Sallie Mae out of our house that these trips almost don't seem worth it.

Don't get me wrong, I love my family and don't place money before them. But, my priority lies in my family. That is my husband and my daughter. Next to that is my parents and siblings and so on. We have made it a family goal that we will free ourselves from the shackles of debt. And, like most things of value, this will take some time. It's so easy to go into debt, and much harder to get out. But we intend to do it sooner rather than later. And some people just don't get that. My parents don't get that.

A lot of people are perfectly content in their financial squallor. We are not. Some people are content with making minimum payments. We are not. Some people think debt is good. We do not. Everyone has a choice when it comes to their financial progress, or lack of. We have decided to leave a legacy and change our family tree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home