Saturday, April 01, 2006

What the heck?

Okay, so anyone that keeps up with current events online or tv or, whatever, is familiar with the new illegal immigrant legislation recently passed by the House, which would make illegal immigrants felons. There have been protests all over the country, California, New York, Oklahoma, and God knows where the next one will take place? I know I've kept this blog comfortably within the realm of personal finances, but sometimes, I feel compelled to write about something else. Heck, it's my blog anyway and, well, I just need to vent a little. Or a lot.

I'd like to begin with the fact that I am a hispanic female. I am first-generation American. My parents emigrated from central Mexico in the early 1970s to southern California, where I and my three siblings were born and raised. Much has to be said about the opportunities this great country America has to offer to foreigners. It's the land of the free. Home of the brave. Where a man, or woman, has control of their destiny and possibly fortunes. I love this country!

My parents worked in the fields when they first crossed the border. They busted themselves ragged daily to give their children the best this world can offer. But, they never settled. They worked their way up the ladder slowly, from the fields, to the factories and finally into the comfy, air-conditioned offices they sit in today. My parents earned their way in this country, and still do. They have taught their children the value of hard work and respect. Respect for themselves, their work, and family.

I have to say, that the people crowding the streets of this great country protesting the proposed law making it a felony to be an illegal immigrant is, in my opinion, a disgrace to every American citizen. The cries of "If you hurt immigrants you are hurting America," or "We are your economy," or "Everyone deserves a better life" completely contradict anything they do. To come to this country, you have to obey it's laws. Like them or not, they are the backbone of this country.

Immigrants have been flooding into this great nation for hundreds of years, legally. Why do we have to make exception to that rule? And how does a law pertaining to illegal immigrants, clear violators of law, diminish their pursuits to a better life? They don't. By attempting to live above the law, they diminish the pursuits of the immigrants who come here legally.

Don't get me wrong, I want these people to have a better a life, to give their children what my parents gave me. All I ask is that they do it legally. There a thousands of immigrants who want to be here, and go through the proper channels to make it happen. They don't take shortcuts and they don't make excuses. Should this land of opportunity deny them the right to have a better life because others took a shortcut and are already here? No!

I am proud of my parents. I am proud of my heritage. But, if you want to come to my country so bad that you are willing to break the law, please, show some respect and put that Mexican flag, Puerto Rican flag, Venezuelan flag, El Salvador flag, Venezuelan flag, or whatever piece of cloth down, and pick up the stars and stripes. Because that is the country you are in where you are given every promise and every opportunity to pursue life, liberty and happiness!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home