Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Rant central...

Well, it's been way too long since my last post. Talk about a hectic time. We've got FPU on Tuesday nights, volleyball on Wednesday nights, Leadership class on Thursday nights and some Saturdays, church on Sunday, and a little 3 year old whose turning 4 in January. Not to mention keeping up with Matt who's fully into his podcast, and video game playing to be able to do the podcast. I think volleyball at church is starting in October and that will be on Sunday nights. For the first time in my life, I could justify purchasing and actually using a day planner. Craziness I tell ya'...just craziness.

But, I've needed to get something off my chest for a while, and I am going to today. Just picture Office Space as I vent my frustrations with what occupies my day.

I work for a fairly large company, they're within the top ten employers in Columbia. They do rather well and rightly so. They provide the best solution out there in their industry. So, meager little me, I say that because I'm one of just over 1,000 employees, works in the advertising and marketing department for this company. We are, in fact, the creative, marketing, advertising, public relations group. We develop the face and voice of our company.

My position was created a little over a year ago based on the need for a graphic designer that had experience in web design and development. An mutual associate mentioned something about this little hispanic girl who did exactly this sort of thing at home for 2 years while raising her newborn. Of course, there's always some reservation about hiring someone like me. What I brought to the table cleared all the doubt. I have designed for print and web for over 8 years, the majority of my last 3 years have entailed web design including HTML/XHTML/CSS layouts, and basic scripting in Javascript. I was hired after my second interview on a part-time basis, as the powers that be weren't convinced fully that I, or my position, was truly needed.

After six months, I was asked if I would consider coming on board fulltime. Apparently, there was a need. After much discussion and prayer with Matt, and based on our goals for the next five years, I accepted the offer.

So here we are now. There's been a lot of transition here at work. People have left, new people have come in, and it's been quite an adventure. The guy that hired me, ventured off into a newly created division within the company and left a vacancy at the head of our department. We were anxious about the position and wondered if anyone could come in and do a better job. Well, anyone that would accept the low pay for high stress. Sure enough, someone did. This little guy from the big city of St. Louis came in and, I have to say, is extremely intelligent and on top of his game. He's an excellent marketing, no-nonsene kinda' guy. And I like that.

So if I like this guy so much, what is my basis for ranting? Well, it could be a number of things I guess. But, I'm pretty easy going and laid back. Not a lot gets to me. Though I have been a bit frustrated lately. My new boss is a micromanager. I never truly understood what this meant, until recently. The definition wikipedia gives seems to be taken from a page in my journal..."Regardless of the motivation the effect can de-motivate employees, create resentment, and damage trust." I used to love working here. It fit my personality, my skillset and it was darn nice to have some adult interaction for a change.

Lately, I have questioned my purpose in the department. My title is "Graphic Designer," yet, less of my job requires such a thing and focuses on mainly HTML. Basicly, putting into HTML/CSS what someone else has designed. This is a recent phenomena. It came with the new boss. And, I have to clarify, I don't blame the guy for wanting to make a good impression on his boss, but is there really a need to supervise every last detail of the work we do? I still don't have an answer.

I talked with Matt about my concerns because I trust his opinion and feedback. He is a manager himself so I wanted to get his perspective on the whole deal. He simply pointed out that any manager that feels they have to oversee the activity of each and every detail or action of someone under their employ is doing a poor job of management. How, I asked? Because they create an environment of low morale, resentment and instill a distrust in an employee's capacity to fulfill their duties. I think he's reading my mail. That's exactly what I've been dealing with and just haven't been able to articulate it.

So, now that I know what's going on, what do I do about it? Honestly, I don't know. I've been considering meeting with my boss to discuss my concerns, which I believe is the best option. Or, I can simply let it go and allow the situation to digress. I definitely don't want to do that. However, I'm one of those people that hates confrontation. I'm uncomfortable in that regard. I heard the other day though, that only when the pain of same is more than the pain of change, will someone be prompted toward a proactive role. Hmm. I guess I don't have a choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home